The Rubicon 3 Covid-19 Policy
Last update: September 10 2020
As an expedition sailing company running trips to extraordinary and remote places, safety is at the very heart of what we do. We also want to give you maximum flexibility with your booking. To achieve this, we’ve made some changes both to how we run the trips and to the booking and joining processes to offer you maximum security and flexibility.
Please accept that Covid-19 remains a fast-moving situation and we will adjust our policies accordingly as the situation changes.
- Each one of our trips will have its own bubble, into which Covid-19 free crew and instructors can enter.
- All crew and instructors will have to produce a negative Covid-19 test result within 1 week of the trip start date.
- High specification anti-viral cleaning machines will be used on each boat in between trips
- Once the trip has started, entering shops or venues ashore will be kept to a minimum
- All crew will be required to adhere to sensible precautions
- As we are in a bubble, we will not be asking crew to wear masks either above decks or below decks
- You may cancel or defer your booking if:
- Rubicon 3 are not able to run the trip
- You produce a positive Covid-19 test result in the 1 week prior to joining the boat
- Your government says you may not travel to the areas covered by the trip.
- Your home will be in a quarantine area on your return
IN DETAIL …
GETTING TESTED PRIOR TO JOINING THE BOAT
You’ll need to provide a negative COVID 19 PCB test, taken within 1 week of departure in order to join the vessel. These are widely available for around £100 and results can be gained in 24 hours.
OPTIONAL RUBICON 3 COVID-19 INSURANCE: POSITIVE TESTS AND QUARANTINES.
Many travel insurance companies are now starting to offer Covid cover, meaning that if you do test positive and are not allowed to join the trip you will get a refund. However, some policies do not cover Covid. If yours does not and you wish to have peace of mind, you can purchase the Rubicon 3 Covid-19 cover for £100. This cover must be purchased within 7 days of your booking. For those who have this cover, if you test positive for Covid-19 in the 72 hours prior to the start date and are not allowed to join then we will cancel your invoice and you will receive a full refund. Further, if your primary residence will require you to quarantine for more than 7 days on your return due to your time with Rubicon 3, then we will offer you the chance to cancel and receive a full refund or defer.
YACHT CLEANING PRIOR TO JOINING
Rubicon 3 have bought high specification anti-viral fogging machines. These are now the industry standard and fully sanitise the yacht in 20 minutes. The fine spray penetrates every nook and cranny, ensuring the yacht is a fully sterile environment prior to your joining.
- As everyone will have had a negative Covid-19 test prior to joining, we will consider the crew to be a bubble and not ask anyone to wear a mask above or below decks, although you will be welcome to wear one should you wish to do so.
- All food will be provided in advance, minimising the risk of infection from any time ashore. This may mean a slightly less varied diet than before and some fewer fresh fruit and vegetables towards the end of the trip. In essence, the diet will be more ‘ocean sailing’ in its approach.
- Crew will be required not to go inside any venues or shops ashore except for essential purposes. You will be allowed to sit outside cafes or restaurants. The only exception to this will be toilet and shower facilities.
- Crew must monitor for symptoms once onboard and let us know if you have any symptoms. We always follow the latest government guidance on what the symptoms are, and how to respond if anyone has them.
- Crew will also be asked to redouble their efforts to maintain high standards of personal hygiene on board with regular hand washing and care.
AFTER LEAVING THE YACHT
- After the trip, we will ask you to let us know if you develop symptoms within 14 days, so that we can inform the rest of the crew that there may be a risk of infection.
- If I get Covid-19 prior to joining, will I be able to join the yacht?
- It appears that people may still test positive for Covid long after they have ceased to be infectious.
- For simplicity, we have a blanket policy: you must produce a negative Covid-19 test from the 1 week prior to the trip start date.
- It doesn’t matter if you have no symptoms or believe you are no longer infectious: unless you have that negative certificate, we will not allow you to join the boat.
- We strongly advise you either to have travel insurance that covers you against this eventuality or to purchase the Rubicon 3 Covid insurance. If you have our cover, if you produce a positive Covid-19 test result dated in the 72 hours prior to the trip start date, you will receive a full refund or option to defer.
- If I am told I have to quarantine on my return and wish to cancel, will I be able to do so?
- At this time, quarantines are being introduced at very short notice and we recognise that this makes it almost impossible to travel in some cases.
- We strongly advise you either to have travel insurance that covers you against this eventuality or to purchase the Rubicon 3 Covid insurance. If you have our cover, if your primary residence is covered by a quarantine order prior to the start date affecting any of the countries visited on your Rubicon 3 trip, you will receive a full refund or option to defer.