Join our mailing list

Help me choose!

News from Hummingbird

Posted in : Hummingbird

Tuesday 17th
We woke early to Robert’s hearty porridge, which set us up for our first day’s sailing. Some dashed ashore for showers and we all prepared for departure. We hanked on the No3 Yankee and Staysail and prepared lines for departure. Hummingbird left the pontoon perfectly, helmed by skipper Mike.

Of course this is Norway, so before we could set sails the wind increased to F5 on the nose. Oh and it rained, a theme for the day.

We now put our training into practice. First two reefs in the main. Laura directed the foredeck work. Prudence and Andy sweated the main halyard with the cockpit crew getting in reef lines.

With rough seas offshore we took an inland route.

More chance to practice…. on with the running backstay and the Staysail was hoisted.

After lunch, more training, and the shout goes out “man overboard”. Some work to drop and secure the Staysail by which time hero Fraser has donned his immersion suit and was being lowered over the side to scoop up our very relieved bucket and fender. The hail added a degree of realism.

Soon we arrived at Sandnesstangen and our overnight anchorage.

Jane, Andy and Dean prepared a warming spicy vegetable stew. With periods of strong gusts, we then started a rolling anchor watch routine which worked well. The stars even made an appearance for some!

Wednesday 18th
Hope of an early departure to clear Stadlander was dashed by continuing large swell and strong winds, giving difficult conditions. This allowed 2 teams to develop detailed passage plans to Bergen and then onto Stavanger, our intended departure point from Norway.

Meanwhile Jane, Andy, Dean and Prudence prepared meals for the passage ahead – our heroes who’s hard work will help us for days making our life easier on passage

Prudence, Jane and Andy joined forces again to prepare a hearty meal of Norwegian sausages and mash. All cleared away and time for a few hours rest. 22:00 all up and ready to depart. 23:00 anchor weighed on time and we were on our way towards the challenge of the open sea