Hebrides to Mainland Scotland
One week of sailing, training and exploring as we sail from Stornoway to ObanCome and experience a little of this magical part of the world for some cheap and cheerful, late season sailing on a majestic 60' expedition yacht. We have 140nm to do in a week, so there should be ample time to sail to and explore some of the islands such as Skye, Mull or Jura along the way. This is a brilliant late season sail.
This is a short, week-long sail from Stornoway in the Hebrides to Oban on the mainland. This is not a standard Rubicon 3 trip as it is only one week long, but with fair winds and weather you will have a fantastic week of sailing, training and exploring along this beautiful stretch of coast. There is only 140 miles to cover which can be done in less than 24 hours, so you should be able to visit some islands and distilleries along the way and have a lot of fun!
JOINING & LEAVING THE BOAT
- You should join the boat in Stornoway, Scotland after 1800 hrs on the joining day.
- You will disembark the boat in Oban on the last day at 1200hrs
GETTING TO AND FROM THE START AND END POINTS
The modern terminal at Stornoway airport is served by direct flights from the mainland (all less than about an hour’s duration) from Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. Flights are by Flybe (operated by Loganair) and Eastern Airways.
There are also inter-island flights direct from Benbecula.
Each of the mainland airports which serve Stornoway have connecting flights by ‘traditional’ airlines and by ‘budget’ carriers – bringing many regional UK airports within a ‘one change’ journey.
Caledonian MacBrayne is a state owned ferry company, operating a fleet of modern, drivel-on/drive-off ferries throughout the Hebrides, as well as a number of routes to the south-west of Scotland.
The MV Loch Seaforth sails at least twice daily in each direction between Ullapool and Stornoway (one each-way crossing on Sundays). The ship was constructed in 2014, has a capacity of 143 cars and carries up to 700 passengers.
Between Ullapool and Inverness, the A835 road has been the subject of considerable improvement in recent years and now puts normal travel time between the two at a realistic 1 hour and 15 minutes or less. For visitors travelling north to Ullapool, the UK motorway network joins the A9 trunk route to Inverness, via Perth.
Scottish Citylink coaches (the ‘main’ national operator) operate service number 961 from Inverness to Ullapool, with luggage handling through to Stornoway arrivals hall. Citylink connects with coach services from Glasgow and Edinburgh, which in turn connect with the National Express network.
Booking for coaches is essential – may be completed at the City link website.
Nearest rail station is at Inverness, where railway passengers will need to transfer to the coach service shown above.
The closest airport to Oban is Glasgow (IATA code: GLA). From there or the railway station, it is around a four hour train journey to Oban (a very beautiful one).
AGE & EXPERIENCE
These adventure sailing holidays are open to everyone aged 18 years and over. If you are aged 70 or over, or have any concerns about your health, we ask that you get a doctor’s note before booking. This is just to make as certain as possible that you will be okay out on the water.
NO PREVIOUS SAILING EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED
CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT
We provide the foul weather clothing, life-jackets and all other technical equipment you will need. We really urge you not to spend any extra money unless you are sure you want to! You need to bring a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots.
We are committed to helping as many people as possible have an amazing sailing holiday and experience the magic of the sea. Our skippers and mates have medical training and the boats have some medical supplies and equipment on board. However, the reality is that once on board access to professional medical assistance is going to be slower than if you were on land. If we are offshore it may be some days. For this reason we ask you to check through the medical disclosure form below before you book. If you answer yes to any of the questions, you should get in touch with us before you book. It will probably still be fine but it’s good to make sure. You will be asked to submit the form electronically 14 days before the start date, ensuring that we have the most up to date information.
- It is essential that you have adequate travel insurance in place for your sailing holiday.
- We strongly recommend that you arrange insurance that covers you for any medical mishaps in the build up to your holiday so that should you have to cancel, you can reclaim you fees.
- Please note we cannot refund your money or cancel your invoice due to medial issues.
- For our latest guidance on travel insurance, please read here.
TRIP CATEGORY: ADVENTURE SAILING
Mostly day sailing, shorter mileage and more time to head ashore and explore.
INCLUDED IN YOUR SAILING HOLIDAY
- Foul weather clothing to keep you dry in any conditions.
- Fladen immersion suits. These will keep you warm in even the coldest, windiest conditions.
- Ocean-spec lifejackets. These are the best on the market.
- All on-board food and snacks.
- Daily sailing lessons and tuition from two highly experienced instructors.
- RYA sailing qualifications where applicable.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Your travel to and from the start and end points.
- Travel insurance (see our travel insurance page here)
- Any alcohol – but feel free to bring your own or buy some along the route
- Any meals you eat ashore
Everything’s included except for flights, travel insurance, a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots. There are no hidden extras.
- These expeditions have small numbers of people on board. When you book, you are committing to being a part of the crew.
- These are genuine adventure sailing holidays and you will be helping sail the boat, planning where we go, navigating, cooking and keeping the boat clean and tidy.
- When you book, the deposit is non refundable. It is possible to cancel subsequently, however you may still be liable for the balance of the invoice, depending on how close you are to the start date when you cancel.
- Please ensure you have read and agreed to the T&Cs and read the Trip Notes before booking.