Sailing milebuilder from Scotland to England
These are the available dates and routes. To book your place, please select the dates from the drop-down above the ‘Add to Cart’ button.
TRIP CODE: OTP06092021
- Start date / place: September 06 2021. Oban, UK
- End date / place: September 17 2021. Portsmouth, England
- Full price: £1,499
- Deposit: £600
TRIP CODE: OTP20092021
- Start date / place: September 20 2021. Oban, UK
- End date / place: October 02 2021. Portsmouth, England
- Full price: £1,499
- Deposit: £600
Please see ‘TRAVEL – GETTING TO & FROM YOUR TRIP’ tab for advice on start and end points.
All crew must produce a negative Covid-19 test result within 72 hours before the start date.
This is 40% of the trip price and is non-refundable. On making payment, your berth is guaranteed.
Paying the balance
The balance of the invoice can be paid at any time. It must be received by Rubicon 3 90 days before the trip start date or your place will automatically be cancelled. We will remind you of the date nearer the time.
Cancellations and moving trips
Our expedition sailing yachts only have between 7 and 10 berths on them. When you book, you are committing to take one of these places. Due to these very limited numbers, we will often have turned away someone else who would have liked the berth. Unlike many other holidays, please understand this gives us little if any flexibility to make changes or to move trips. We will always endeavour to assist you (& the earlier you tell us the better), but unless we can find someone else to take your place, we usually cannot move your booking.
Please note: This is an opportunity to build miles, gain lots of experience and have some great late season sailing as we blast down the Irish Sea and get back home to Portsmouth. As such this is not a normal Rubicon 3 trip with lots of stopping and exploring en route, but it is a fantastic way to do some great sailing at a great price. We would expect 2-3 stops along the way.
Training in Scotland
We’ll start with a full day of sailing and training in the beautiful islands of western Scotland. This will help everyone get up to speed as individuals and as a crew. We’ll likely spend the night anchored somewhere in the sound of Jura.
Passage to Dublin
Then it’s time to get going and we have around 170nm south to Dublin (which seems silly to go past!). After a full 24 hours of sailing and our first night passage, it’s a really fun stop.
Passage to the Scilly Isles
It’s completely weather dependant if we can stop at the Scillies, but we certainly hope we can as they are an almost magical sub tropical paradise just off the south wet coast of mainland England. There are some 200nm south of Dublin, so it;s another 24-36 hour passage.
Passage to Cherbourg, France
Again, very weather dependant, but if we can, it’s really fun next to sail east to France. Cherbourg is a good 180nm from the Scillies, so it’s another full 24 hours of sailing. Cherbourg is a surprisingly fun town and if we make it there, we’ll have to have the obligatory Moules Frites and un pression!
Across the English Channel to Portsmouth
Finally, it’s a 60nm high speed blast north across the Channel, past the iconic Needles and then up the Solent, past Hurst Castle and into the huge natural harbour that is Portsmouth.
JOINING & LEAVING THE BOAT
- You should join the boat at 1100hrs on the start day. It is important you are not late.
- You will disembark between 0700 and 1200hrs on the end day.
- For exact start and end locations, please see the ‘Dates & Prices’ tab
INFORMATION TO HELP GET TO AND FROM THE START AND END POINTS
- A Rubicon 3 coach will depart from Glasgow railway station to Oban marina at 0800 on the start date. It is scheduled to arrive by 1100hrs. Tickets are £30 and can be booked here.
- The yacht will be in Haslar marina, Portsmouth.
- The closest train station is Portsmouth Harbour.
- From there, you need to take the green ferry across the harbour (5 minutes, £3.70) and walk along the shore to the marina.
- Portsmouth harbour station is about 90 minutes on the train from Gatwick airport (IATA code: LGW). It is also possible to take a 90 minute taxi costing about £60 from Heathrow airport (IATA code: LHR)
AGE & EXPERIENCE
These adventure sailing holidays are open to anyone aged 18 – 70 years. No previous sailing experience is required for this route
CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT
We provide the foul weather clothing, life-jackets and all other technical equipment you will need. You need to bring a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots.
FITNESS TO SAIL
We believe that as many people as possible should be able to head out to sea and have a great adventure. However, it is essential for everyone’s safety that you are in a fit enough state to be on board. Ability to complete the five exercises below is a pre-requisite for joining as a crew member. They are not designed to be physically taxing and almost everyone should be able to complete them. Rather they are in place to check that you have the stability and basic physical condition to be on-board. If when you join the vessel the skipper believes you are not capable of completing these exercises, you will probably not be allowed to embark. If you have any doubts at all about your ability to complete these exercises safely, you must contact your doctor before attempting them.
Four weeks before your trip start date, you will be sent final joining instructions. At this time you will be asked to complete our medical declaration. At the time of booking, it is your responsibility to be sure that you will be able to pass all the criteria at the start date of your trip. If you cannot pass the criteria you will probably be refused permission to board.
- All crew must have adequate travel insurance in place for your sailing holiday.
- We strongly recommend that you arrange insurance as soon as you book. This ideally will cover you for any mishaps, medical or otherwise, in the build-up to your holiday so that should you have to cancel, you can reclaim you fees.
- Please note we will not refund your money or cancel your invoice due to medical issues that disqualify you from joining your trip.
- For our latest guidance on travel insurance, please read here.
TRIP CATEGORY: COASTAL SAILING
For a full explanation of what to expect with the various trip ratings please click here.
INCLUDED IN YOUR SAILING HOLIDAY
- Fladen immersion suits. These will keep you warm in even the coldest, windiest conditions.
- Ocean-spec lifejackets. These are the best on the market.
- All on-board food and snacks.
- Daily sailing lessons and tuition from two highly experienced instructors.
- RYA sailing qualifications can be earned where applicable.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Your travel to and from the start and end points.
- Travel insurance (see our travel insurance page here)
- Any alcohol – but feel free to bring your own or buy some along the route.
- Any meals you eat ashore.
Everything’s included except for flights, travel insurance, a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots. There are no hidden extras.
- These expeditions have small numbers of people on board. When you book, you are committing to being a part of the crew.
- These are genuine adventure sailing holidays and you will be helping sail the boat, planning where we go, navigating, cooking and keeping the boat clean and tidy.
- When you book, the deposit is non refundable. It is possible to cancel subsequently, however you may still be liable for the balance of the invoice, depending on how close you are to the start date when you cancel.
- Please ensure you have read and agreed to the T&Cs and Trip Notes before booking.