Sailing England’s South Coast: Milebuilder
Build your sailing experience, skills and miles on this mile-builder between Portsmouth and Falmouth.
Spend time with really experienced skippers out on the water as we make passage between these two ports, as the fleet prepares to head off on another season, or is returning from its expeditions for refit. It's a great opportunity to experience these expedition yachts and the Rubicon 3 ethos, with minimal time and expense.
These are the available dates and routes. To book your place, please select the dates from the drop-down above the ‘Add to Cart’ button.
TRIP CODE: PORFAL180422
- Start date / place: April 18 2022. Portsmouth, UK
- End date / place: April 22 2022. Falmouth, UK
- Full price: £599
- Deposit: £150
TRIP CODE: PORFAL260922
- Start date / place: September 26 2022. Portsmouth, UK
- End date / place: September 30 2022. Falmouth, UK
- Full price: £599
- Deposit: £150
Please see ‘TRAVEL – GETTING TO & FROM YOUR TRIP’ tab for advice on start and end points.
This is non-refundable. On making payment, your berth is guaranteed.
Paying the balance
The balance of the invoice can be paid at any time. It must be received by Rubicon 3 90 days before the trip start date or your place will automatically be cancelled. We will remind you of the date nearer the time.
Cancellations and moving trips
Our expedition sailing yachts only have between 7 and 10 berths on them. When you book, you are committing to take one of these places. Due to these very limited numbers, we will often have turned away someone else who would have liked the berth. Unlike many other holidays, please understand this gives us little if any flexibility to make changes or to move trips. We will always endeavour to assist you (& the earlier you tell us the better), but unless we can find someone else to take your place, we usually cannot move your booking.
The wind and the weather ultimately shape what’s possible each day but everything is very flexible within that. Our sole objective is to get out on the water, have some fun, practise a few skills and enjoy some top class sailing.
PORTSMOUTH TO FALMOUTH
Please note that this is a mile-builder and not the usual Rubicon 3 expedition, with lots of stops and places to explore. If you want a great sail, passage making experience, miles on the clock and to sail with and learn from super experienced sailors, this is for you.
That said, we only have about 150nm to do in 5 days, so there is still plenty of time for training and skills development, and we would hope to stop in somewhere new each night.
We might sail from Portsmouth to Cowes the first day, to get lots of skills and drills in. The next day, we might sail 30nm west to Poole. The next day, maybe a longer 70nm passage to Salcombe or Brixham, the next day maybe a nice anchorage up the River Helford, then into Falmouth on the final day.
It’s great sailing and a great opportunity to build skills and experience at low cost.
- Join the boat promptly at 0900hrs on the start day.
It is important you are not late as the pre-trip briefing will start promptly at that time. You will probably need to arrive at your start point the day before your trip begins and get a hotel or B&B.
- Disembark at 1700hrs on the end day.
INFORMATION TO HELP GET TO AND FROM THE START AND END POINTS
- The closest train station is Portsmouth Harbour.
- From there, you need to take the green ferry across the harbour (5 minutes, £3.70) and walk along the shore to the marina.
- Portsmouth harbour station is about 90 minutes on the train from Gatwick airport (IATA code: LGW). It is also possible to take a 90 minute taxi costing about £60 from Heathrow airport (IATA code: LHR)
- Travel to Falmouth is a very straight forward by road, rail or by air. By road, once you reach Exeter you then have a lovely drive down the newly improved A30 taking in stunning scenery over Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor. Then follow the A39 via Truro and onto Falmouth.
- By rail, Falmouth is very well served with a branch line linking directly to the main line at Truro. Great Western Railway
AGE & EXPERIENCE
These adventure sailing holidays are open to everyone aged 18 years and over. If you are aged 70 or over, or have any concerns about your health, we ask that you get a doctor’s note before booking. This is just to make as certain as possible that you will be okay out on the water.
CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT
We provide the foul weather clothing, life-jackets and all other technical equipment you will need. You need to bring a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots.
FITNESS TO SAIL
We believe that as many people as possible should be able to head out to sea and have a great adventure. However, it is essential for everyone’s safety that you are in a fit enough state to be on board. Ability to complete the five exercises below is a pre-requisite for joining as a crew member. They are not designed to be physically taxing and almost everyone should be able to complete them. Rather they are in place to check that you have the stability and basic physical condition to be on-board. If when you join the vessel the skipper believes you are not capable of completing these exercises, you will probably not be allowed to embark. If you have any doubts at all about your ability to complete these exercises safely, you must contact your doctor before attempting them.
Four weeks before your trip start date, you will be sent final joining instructions. At this time you will be asked to complete our medical declaration. At the time of booking, it is your responsibility to be sure that you will be able to pass all the criteria at the start date of your trip. If you cannot pass the criteria you will probably be refused permission to board.
- All crew must have adequate travel insurance in place for your sailing holiday.
- We strongly recommend that you arrange insurance as soon as you book. This ideally will cover you for any mishaps, medical or otherwise, in the build-up to your holiday so that should you have to cancel, you can reclaim your fees.
- Please note we will not refund your money or cancel your invoice due to medical issues that disqualify you from joining your trip.
- For our latest guidance on travel insurance, please read here.
TRIP CATEGORY: COASTAL SAILING
For a full explanation of what to expect with the various trip ratings please click here.
INCLUDED IN YOUR SAILING HOLIDAY
- Foul weather clothing to keep you dry in any conditions.
- Fladen immersion suits. These will keep you warm in even the coldest, windiest conditions.
- Ocean-spec lifejackets. These are the best on the market.
- All on-board food and snacks.
- Daily sailing lessons and tuition from two highly experienced instructors.
- RYA sailing qualifications where applicable.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Your travel to and from the start and end points.
- Travel insurance (see our travel insurance page here)
- Any alcohol – but feel free to bring your own or buy some along the route
- Any meals you eat ashore
Everything’s included except for flights, travel insurance, a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots. There are no hidden extras.
- These expeditions have small numbers of people on board. When you book, you are committing to being a part of the crew.
- These are genuine adventure sailing holidays and you will be helping sail the boat, planning where we go, navigating, cooking and keeping the boat clean and tidy.
- When you book, the deposit is non refundable. It is possible to cancel subsequently, however you may still be liable for the balance of the invoice, depending on how close you are to the start date when you cancel.
- Please ensure you have read and agreed to the T&Cs and read the Trip Notes before booking.