Sailing Experience: London and England’s south coast
A wonderful sail along the south coast of England, including the heart of London and an iconic sail along the River Thames
For those looking for a shorter experience, to build miles and to increase skills and experience, this is the perfect trip on an exciting 60' expedition yacht. The south coast of England is a wonderful training ground, with good wind, tidal waters, lots of commercial traffic to weave between and some lovely ports and anchorages. You will also have a wonderful voyage along the length of the River Thames and Tower Bridge.
These are the available dates and routes. To book your place, please select the dates from the drop-down above the ‘Add to Cart’ button.
TRIP CODE: PTL140621
- Start date / place: June 14 2021. Portsmouth, England
- End date / place: June 20 2021. Tower Bridge, London
- Full price: £499
- Deposit: £200
TRIP CODE: LTP050921
- Start date / place: September 05 2021. Tower Bridge, London
- End date / place: September 10. Portsmouth, England
- Full price: £499
- Deposit: £200
TRIP CODE: LTP201021
- Start date / place: October 20 2021. Tower Bridge, London
- End date / place: October 24 2021. Portsmouth, England
- Full price: £499
- Deposit: £200
Please see ‘TRAVEL – GETTING TO & FROM YOUR TRIP’ tab for advice on start and end points.
This is 40% of the trip price and is non-refundable. On making payment, your berth is guaranteed.
Paying the balance
The balance of the invoice can be paid at any time. It must be received by Rubicon 3 90 days before the trip start date or your place will automatically be cancelled. We will remind you of the date nearer the time.
Cancellations and moving trips
Our expedition sailing yachts only have between 7 and 10 berths on them. When you book, you are committing to take one of these places. Due to these very limited numbers, we will often have turned away someone else who would have liked the berth. Unlike many other holidays, please understand this gives us little if any flexibility to make changes or to move trips. We will always endeavour to assist you (& the earlier you tell us the better), but unless we can find someone else to take your place, we usually cannot move your booking.
This is a typical itinerary for the sail from Portsmouth in the Solent to London. (If you are on the London to Portsmouth route, please just reverse the info below!) As with any sailing trip, the weather ultimately decides the exact route and timings so no part of this can be guaranteed.
Joining day, training and sail to the Isle of Wight
Join the boat and get your belongings packed away and relax. There’s plenty of things to do in the future but right now it’s about relaxing, finding your way around the boat and enjoying the surroundings. After lunch, we’ll start to show you the boat, issue lifejackets and oilskins and teach you the most important skills when on board.
Sailing east to Eastbourne
Today we’ll most likely make the lovely sail 60nm east to Eastbourne. This gives us a great opportunity to build our experience as individuals and as a crew. Leaving the Isle of Wight to starboard, we’ll soon be sailing fast down the south coast, passing Brighton to port and finally rounding the famous white cliffs of Beachy Head before turning in to the lock that gives access to the marina complex at Eastbourne
Further east to Ramsgate
With lots of miles to do in our few days, we then have another sail east, probably to the old fishing port of Ramsgate. This sail takes us across some of the busiest shipping routes in the world, and you will be amazed at the traffic caused by ferries running between Dover, Calais and Folkestone. You’ll need to be on your toes for collision avoidance!
Into the Thames Estuary and anchoring at the head of the River Medway
Finally, we’re heading west, as we round Botany Bay and sail past Margate and Whitstable, past the Isle of Sheppey and we’ll likely anchor in a lovely spot at the head of the River Medway.
Down the River Thames to Tower Bridge
Our final day is a lovely day sail down the River Thames. We pass under the magnificent Queen Elizabeth bridge, past City Airport and the towers of Canary Wharf and finally into the glamour and excitement of Tower Bridge and St Katherine Dock. A great voyage has ended and it’s time for a final crew beer before we disembark
JOINING & LEAVING THE BOAT
- You should join the boat at 1100hrs on the start day. It is important you are not late.
- You will disembark at 1700hrs on the end day.
- For the exact start and end locations, please see the ‘Dates & Prices’ tab
INFORMATION TO HELP GET TO AND FROM THE START AND END POINTS
ST KATHARINE DOCKS, LONDON
- Located in the heart of London, right by Tower Bridge.
- The nearest underground station is Tower Hill or London Bridge
- Portsmouth has a mainline rail station at Portsmouth Harbour which is around a 90-minute train ride from London and has a direct rail link to London Gatwick Airport (LON). It is also around the same journey time to London Heathrow although this is not a direct train line. Coaches terminate at the Hard Interchange next to the railway station.
AGE & EXPERIENCE
These adventure sailing holidays are open to anyone aged 18 – 70 years. No previous sailing experience is required for this route
CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT
We provide the foul weather clothing, life-jackets and all other technical equipment you will need. You need to bring a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots.
FITNESS TO SAIL
We believe that as many people as possible should be able to head out to sea and have a great adventure. However, it is essential for everyone’s safety that you are in a fit enough state to be on board. Ability to complete the five exercises below is a pre-requisite for joining as a crew member. They are not designed to be physically taxing and almost everyone should be able to complete them. Rather they are in place to check that you have the stability and basic physical condition to be on-board. If when you join the vessel the skipper believes you are not capable of completing these exercises, you will probably not be allowed to embark. If you have any doubts at all about your ability to complete these exercises safely, you must contact your doctor before attempting them.
Four weeks before your trip start date, you will be sent final joining instructions. At this time you will be asked to complete our medical declaration. At the time of booking, it is your responsibility to be sure that you will be able to pass all the criteria at the start date of your trip. If you cannot pass the criteria you will probably be refused permission to board.
- All crew must have adequate travel insurance in place for your sailing holiday.
- We strongly recommend that you arrange insurance as soon as you book. This ideally will cover you for any mishaps, medical or otherwise, in the build-up to your holiday so that should you have to cancel, you can reclaim your fees.
- Please note we will not refund your money or cancel your invoice due to medical issues that disqualify you from joining your trip.
- For our latest guidance on travel insurance, please read here.
TRIP CATEGORY: COASTAL SAILING
For a full explanation of what to expect with the various trip ratings please click here.
INCLUDED IN YOUR SAILING HOLIDAY
- Fladen immersion suits. These will keep you warm in even the coldest, windiest conditions.
- Ocean-spec lifejackets. These are the best on the market.
- All on-board food and snacks.
- Daily sailing lessons and tuition from two highly experienced instructors.
- RYA sailing qualifications can be earned where applicable.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Your travel to and from the start and end points.
- Travel insurance (see our travel insurance page here)
- Any alcohol – but feel free to bring your own or buy some along the route.
- Any meals you eat ashore.
Everything’s included except for flights, travel insurance, a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots. There are no hidden extras.
- These expeditions have small numbers of people on board. When you book, you are committing to being a part of the crew.
- These are genuine adventure sailing holidays and you will be helping sail the boat, planning where we go, navigating, cooking and keeping the boat clean and tidy.
- When you book, the deposit is non refundable. It is possible to cancel subsequently, however you may still be liable for the balance of the invoice, depending on how close you are to the start date when you cancel.
- Please ensure you have read and agreed to the T&Cs and Trip Notes before booking.