Sailing Experience: London & England’s South Coast
Portsmouth to London, June 20-24 2020 (£549)
London to Portsmouth, 21-25 September 2020 (£549)
London to Portsmouth, 19-23 October 2020 (£549)
London to Portsmouth. 06 – 12 September 2021. £599
NO PREVIOUS SAILING EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
JOIN SOLO OR AS PART OF A GROUP
A wonderful sail along the south coast of England, including the heart of London and an iconic sail along the River Thames
For those looking for a shorter experience, to build miles and to increase skills and experience, this is the perfect trip on an exciting 60' expedition yacht. The south coast of England is a wonderful training ground, with good wind, tidal waters, lots of commercial traffic to weave between and some lovely ports and anchorages. You will also have a wonderful voyage along the length of the River Thames and Tower Bridge.
This is a typical itinerary for the sail from Portsmouth in the Solent to London. (If you are on the London to Portsmouth route, please just reverse the info below!) As with any sailing trip, the weather ultimately decides the exact route and timings so no part of this can be guaranteed.
Day 1: Joining day, training and a sail to the Isle of Wight
Join the boat by 0900hrs on the start day. Get your belongings packed away and relax. There’s plenty of things to do in the future but right now it’s about meeting the crew, getting your bags packed away and we’ll do lots of safety briefings. In the afternoon, we’ll slip lines and head out into the Solent to learn all about the essential skills and drills, tacking and gybing, and general sailing manoeuvres. We’ll stop in Cowes on the Isle of Wight that evening for a crew meal in the local pub.
Day 2: Sailing east to Eastbourne!
Today we’ll most likely make the lovely sail 60nm east to Eastbourne. This gives us a great opportunity to build our experience as individuals and as a crew. Leaving the Isle of Wight to starboard, we’ll soon be sailing fast down the south coast, passing Brighton to port and finally rounding the famous white cliffs of Beachy Head before turning in to the lock that gives access to the marina complex at eastbourney
Day 3: Further east to Ramsgate
With lots of miles to do in our few days, we then have another sail east, probably to the old fishing port of Ramsgate. This sail takes us across some of the busiest shipping routes in the world, and you will be amazed at the traffic caused by ferries running between Dover, Calais and Folkestone. You’ll need to be on your toes for collision avoidance!
Day 4: Into the Thames Estuary and anchoring at the head of the River Medway
Finally we’re heading west, as we round Botany Bay, and sail past Margate and Whitstable, past the Isle of Sheppey and we’ll likely anchor in a lovely spot at the head of the River Medway.
Day 5: Down the River Thames to Tower Bridge
Our final day is a lovely day sail down the River Thames. We pass under the magnificent Queen Elizabeth bridge, past City Airport and the towers of Canary Wharf and finally into the glamour and excitement of Tower Bridge and St Katherine Dock. A great voyage has ended and it’s time for a final crew beer before we disembark
JOINING & LEAVING THE BOAT
- You should join the boat at 1000hrs on the joining day (Portsmouth or London) and leave at 1700hrs on the last day (Portsmouth or London)
GETTING TO AND FROM THE START AND END POINTS
- Portsmouth has a mainline rail station at Portsmouth Harbour which is around a 90-minute train ride from London and has a direct rail link to London Gatwick Airport (LON). It is also around the same journey time to London Heathrow although this is not a direct train line. Coaches terminate at the Hard Interchange next to the railway station.
- St Katherine Dock is right by Tower Bridge, which is on the Circle or District lines of the underground, and a short walk from London Bridge.
AGE & EXPERIENCE
These adventure sailing holidays are open to everyone aged 18 years and over. If you are aged 70 or over, or have any concerns about your health, we ask that you get a doctor’s note before booking. This is just to make as certain as possible that you will be okay out on the water.
NO PREVIOUS SAILING EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED
CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT
We provide the foul weather clothing, life-jackets and all other technical equipment you will need. We really urge you not to spend any extra money unless you are sure you want to! You need to bring a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots.
We are committed to helping as many people as possible have an amazing sailing holiday and experience the magic of the sea. Our skippers and mates have medical training and the boats have some medical supplies and equipment on board. However, the reality is that once on board access to professional medical assistance is going to be slower than if you were on land. If we are offshore it may be some days. For this reason we ask you to check through the medical disclosure form below before you book. If you answer yes to any of the questions, you should get in touch with us before you book. It will probably still be fine but it’s good to make sure. You will be asked to submit the form electronically 14 days before the start date, ensuring that we have the most up to date information.
- It is essential that you have adequate travel insurance in place for your sailing holiday.
- We strongly recommend that you arrange insurance that covers you for any medical mishaps in the build up to your holiday so that should you have to cancel, you can reclaim you fees.
- Please note we cannot refund your money or cancel your invoice due to medical issues.
- For our latest guidance on travel insurance, please read here.
TRIP CATEGORY: COASTAL SAILING
Mostly day sailing, shorter mileage and more time to head ashore and explore. Please note, this trip more sailing each than some other routes.
INCLUDED IN YOUR SAILING HOLIDAY
- Foul weather clothing to keep you dry in any conditions.
- Fladen immersion suits. These will keep you warm in even the coldest, windiest conditions.
- Ocean-spec lifejackets. These are the best on the market.
- All on-board food and snacks.
- Daily sailing lessons and tuition from two highly experienced instructors.
- RYA sailing qualifications where applicable.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Your travel to and from the start and end points.
- Travel insurance (see our travel insurance page here)
- Any alcohol – but feel free to bring your own or buy some along the route.
- Any meals you eat ashore.
Everything’s included except for flights, travel insurance, a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots. There are no hidden extras.
- These expeditions have small numbers of people on board. When you book, you are committing to being a part of the crew.
- These are genuine adventure sailing holidays and you will be helping sail the boat, planning where we go, navigating, cooking and keeping the boat clean and tidy.
- When you book, the deposit is non refundable. It is possible to cancel subsequently, however you may still be liable for the balance of the invoice, depending on how close you are to the start date when you cancel.
- Please ensure you have read and agreed to the T&Cs and read the Trip Notes before booking.