Adventure sailing holiday – St Kilda: to the ends of the Earth
The St Kilda Challenge!Magnificent, awe-inspiring St Kilda. More often than not spoken about in hushed tones by sailors, such is the lure of this difficult to reach archipelago. Situated more than 40nm west of the Outer Hebrides and uninhabited since 1930. it has some of the highest cliffs in Europe, and large colonies of rare and endangered birds, especially puffins and gannets. It's vast cliffs strut out into the Atlantic, swept by storms even in summer, yet form some of what has been described as one of the most beautiful places in Europe.
These are the available dates and routes. To book your place, please select the dates from the drop-down above the ‘Add to Cart’ button.
TRIP CODE: STK260421
- Start date / place: April 26 2021. Oban, UK
- End date / place: May 08 2021. Oban, UK
- Full price: £1,699
- Deposit: £679
PLEASE NOTE: A RUBICON 3 COACH WILL RUN BETWEEN GLASGOW RAIL STATION & OBAN MARINA AT 0800 ON THE START AND END DATE. IT IS SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE BY 1100HRS. TICKETS ARE £30 AND CAN BE BOOKED HERE
This is 40% of the trip price and is non-refundable. On making payment, your berth is guaranteed.
Paying the balance
The balance of the invoice can be paid at any time. It must be received by Rubicon 3 90 days before the trip start date or your place will automatically be cancelled. We will remind you of the date nearer the time.
Cancellations and moving trips
Our expedition sailing yachts only have between 7 and 10 berths on them. When you book, you are committing to take one of these places. Due to these very limited numbers, we will often have turned away someone else who would have liked the berth. Unlike many other holidays, please understand this gives us little if any flexibility to make changes or to move trips. We will always endeavour to assist you (& the earlier you tell us the better), but unless we can find someone else to take your place, we usually cannot move your booking.
The Outer Hebrides are an exposed and tricky area to sail, and weather conditions can be unpredictable and turn quickly. As such, more than ever, this itinerary is a guide only and we will be very much working with the weather. We may not make it to St Kilda – that is what makes it so elusive – but we will try!
Summary of the area
Sailing the west coast of the Outer Hebrides gives access to stunning white sand beaches scattered along a coastline that faces the full might of the Atlantic Ocean. The ultimate Scottish sailing destination, the dual World Heritage Site of St Kilda lies 42 miles out to the west from the Sound of Harris.
The islands we can sail around and explore
Other Outer Hebrides outlying islands on the Atlantic Coast include the Monach Isles off the coast of North Uist. Off the west and north coast of Lewis lie the Flannan Isles, North Rona, Sula Sgeir and the iconic Rockall. Between West Loch Tarbert and Loch Roag there are the more easily accessible islands of Taransay (famous for its starring turn as the island in the BBC series Castaway) and Scarp.
Marine life includes common and harbour seals, basking sharks, dolphin, porpoise, blue shark and Minke whale.
St. Kilda is the biggest island in the archipelago with Boreray and Soy to the north and Levenish to the south. It is a double UNESCO world heritage site and home to over a million seabirds. Wonderful anchorages, and so much to see and explore ashore. We just have to hope we have the weather to make it there!
JOINING & LEAVING THE BOAT
- You should join the boat at 1100hrs on the start day. It is important you are not late.
- You will disembark between 0700 and 1200hrs on the end day.
- For exact start and end locations, please see the ‘Dates & Prices’ tab.
AGE & EXPERIENCE
These adventure sailing holidays are open to anyone aged 18 – 70 years. No previous sailing experience is required for this route
CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT
We provide the foul weather clothing, life-jackets and all other technical equipment you will need. You need to bring a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots.
FITNESS TO SAIL
We believe that as many people as possible should be able to head out to sea and have a great adventure. However, it is essential for everyone’s safety that you are in a fit enough state to be on board. Ability to complete the five exercises below is a pre-requisite for joining as a crew member. They are not designed to be physically taxing and almost everyone should be able to complete them. Rather they are in place to check that you have the stability and basic physical condition to be on-board. If when you join the vessel the skipper believes you are not capable of completing these exercises, you will probably not be allowed to embark. If you have any doubts at all about your ability to complete these exercises safely, you must contact your doctor before attempting them.
Four weeks before your trip start date, you will be sent final joining instructions. At this time you will be asked to complete our medical declaration. At the time of booking, it is your responsibility to be sure that you will be able to pass all the criteria at the start date of your trip. If you cannot pass the criteria you will probably be refused permission to board.
- All crew must have adequate travel insurance in place for your sailing holiday.
- We strongly recommend that you arrange insurance as soon as you book. This ideally will cover you for any mishaps, medical or otherwise, in the build-up to your holiday so that should you have to cancel, you can reclaim you fees.
- Please note we will not refund your money or cancel your invoice due to medical issues that disqualify you from joining your trip.
- For our latest guidance on travel insurance, please read here.
TRIP CATEGORY: COASTAL SAILING
For a full explanation of what to expect with the various trip ratings please click here.
INCLUDED IN YOUR SAILING HOLIDAY
- Fladen immersion suits. These will keep you warm in even the coldest, windiest conditions.
- Ocean-spec lifejackets. These are the best on the market.
- All on-board food and snacks.
- Daily sailing lessons and tuition from two highly experienced instructors.
- RYA sailing qualifications can be earned where applicable.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Your travel to and from the start and end points.
- Travel insurance (see our travel insurance page here)
- Any alcohol – but feel free to bring your own or buy some along the route.
- Any meals you eat ashore.
Everything’s included except for flights, travel insurance, a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots. There are no hidden extras.
- These expeditions have small numbers of people on board. When you book, you are committing to being a part of the crew.
- These are genuine adventure sailing holidays and you will be helping sail the boat, planning where we go, navigating, cooking and keeping the boat clean and tidy.
- When you book, the deposit is non refundable. It is possible to cancel subsequently, however you may still be liable for the balance of the invoice, depending on how close you are to the start date when you cancel.
- Please ensure you have read and agreed to the T&Cs and Trip Notes before booking.