Sailing day: refresh your skills
These are the available dates and routes. To book your place, please select the dates from the drop-down above the ‘Add to Cart’ button.
The day starts and ends in Haslar Marina, Portsmouth.
You should join the boat between 0830 and 0900. The day finishes at 1700
Saturday January 09 2021
Saturday January 23 2021
Saturday February 06 2021
Saturday February 20 2021
Please see ‘TRAVEL – GETTING TO & FROM YOUR TRIP’ tab for advice on start and end points.
This is 100% of the trip price and is non-refundable. On making payment, your berth is guaranteed.
Cancellations and moving trips
Our expedition sailing yachts only have between 7 and 10 berths on them. When you book, you are committing to take one of these places. Due to these very limited numbers, we will often have turned away someone else who would have liked the berth. Unlike many other holidays, please understand this gives us little if any flexibility to make changes or to move trips. We will always endeavour to assist you (& the earlier you tell us the better), but unless we can find someone else to take your place, we usually cannot move your booking.
0830 to 0900
Join the boat for hot drinks, bacon sandwiches, oilskins and lifejackets. Once everyone is on board, we will talk you through the day, get a feel for current skill levels and tease out any particular worries
0900 to 1230
Out into the sheltered waters of the solent, we will get straight out and start one of our rich teaching modules. The bite size lessons focus on the topics that we know you want to revise, with sail trim and reefing being near the top of the list. If other particular topics have been requested, these can be added in. With no where to get to, we can really take our time to explain the evolutions, and ensure everyone is up to speed
1230 to 1300
Anchor for lunch. We’ll find a nice sheltered spot, and use the opportunity to talk through anchoring technique, with location selection, anchor prep, drop techniques, setting and recovery. There will be hot pies, hot drinks and biscuits to finish!
1300 to 1630
Lots more skills and drills, with our two expert instructors polishing up all those little niggles and questions you carry round with you. This is your chance to tap into their years of experience, where no question is too simple or too stupid and whee you can immediately learn and try the technique.
1630 to 1700
We’ll be back on the dock in Haslar, where we can have a final debrief, hand back you equipment and head home.
JOINING & LEAVING THE BOAT
- You should join the boat between 0830 and 0900hrs. It is important you are not late.
- You will disembark between 1630 and 1700 hrs
INFORMATION TO HELP GET TO AND FROM THE START AND END POINTS
- The yacht will be in Haslar marina, Portsmouth.
- The closest train station is Portsmouth Harbour.
- From there, you need to take the green ferry across the harbour (5 minutes, £3.70) and walk along the shore to the marina.
AGE & EXPERIENCE
These adventure sailing holidays are open to anyone aged 18 – 70 years. No previous sailing experience is required for this route
CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT
We provide the foul weather clothing, life-jackets and all other technical equipment you will need. You need to bring a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots.
FITNESS TO SAIL
We believe that as many people as possible should be able to head out to sea and have a great adventure. However, it is essential for everyone’s safety that you are in a fit enough state to be on board. Ability to complete the five exercises below is a pre-requisite for joining as a crew member. They are not designed to be physically taxing and almost everyone should be able to complete them. Rather they are in place to check that you have the stability and basic physical condition to be on-board. If when you join the vessel the skipper believes you are not capable of completing these exercises, you will probably not be allowed to embark. If you have any doubts at all about your ability to complete these exercises safely, you must contact your doctor before attempting them.
Four weeks before your trip start date, you will be sent final joining instructions. At this time you will be asked to complete our medical declaration. At the time of booking, it is your responsibility to be sure that you will be able to pass all the criteria at the start date of your trip. If you cannot pass the criteria you will probably be refused permission to board.
- All crew must have adequate travel insurance in place for your sailing holiday.
- We strongly recommend that you arrange insurance as soon as you book. This ideally will cover you for any mishaps, medical or otherwise, in the build-up to your holiday so that should you have to cancel, you can reclaim you fees.
- Please note we will not refund your money or cancel your invoice due to medical issues that disqualify you from joining your trip.
- For our latest guidance on travel insurance, please read here.
TRIP CATEGORY: COASTAL SAILING
For a full explanation of what to expect with the various trip ratings please click here.
INCLUDED IN YOUR SAILING HOLIDAY
- Fladen immersion suits. These will keep you warm in even the coldest, windiest conditions.
- Ocean-spec lifejackets. These are the best on the market.
- All on-board food and snacks.
- Daily sailing lessons and tuition from two highly experienced instructors.
- RYA sailing qualifications can be earned where applicable.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Your travel to and from the start and end points.
- Travel insurance (see our travel insurance page here)
- Any alcohol – but feel free to bring your own or buy some along the route.
- Any meals you eat ashore.
Everything’s included except for flights, travel insurance, a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots. There are no hidden extras.
- These expeditions have small numbers of people on board. When you book, you are committing to being a part of the crew.
- These are genuine adventure sailing holidays and you will be helping sail the boat, planning where we go, navigating, cooking and keeping the boat clean and tidy.
- When you book, the deposit is non refundable. It is possible to cancel subsequently, however you may still be liable for the balance of the invoice, depending on how close you are to the start date when you cancel.
- Please ensure you have read and agreed to the T&Cs and Trip Notes before booking.