What’s your favourite line?
Posted in : Bluejay
The Crew members favourite lines on a sailing boat and why (a game played whilst sailing, courtesy of Emma)
- Emma: Staysail halyard, because it is loyal and dependable.
- Marilyn: Reef 3 – because most of the time the line does not do much, but it is there to stabilise the boat and the crew when needed.
- Patrick: Yankee halyard, because it is high up on the mast, at the front of the boat, looking forwards and out to sea.
- Amancio: Outhaul, because it is a hidden line at the foot and crew of the sail, which is often silent and hidden but yet important.
- Sue: Spinnaker halyard, because it is free and flies.
- Koen: Docklines, because they are attached to land.
- Sarah: Topping lift, because most of the time the line is free and gently swinging, but when the sails are down or reefed it crucially holds up the boom.
- Tom: Main sheet, because it is always under slightly more tension than it is comfortable with.
- Emma: Spinnaker halyard, because it sits at the top of the mast and has an overview of the boat and the sea.